German Spaetzle with Sauerkraut Recipe
Cook Time: 15 min
Prep Time: 10 min
( Serves 6 )
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
4 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon salt
8 whole large eggs
1 cup water
1 can (14 1/2 oz.) sauerkraut
1/2 cup butter
4 tablespoon plain bread crumbs
- Fill a large pot with water, add oil, and bring to a boil. Place flour in a large mixing bowl and make a well in the middle. Add salt, eggs, and water and beat the dough until smooth and bubbly.
- The dough should have a thick consistency. Fill a spaetzle press with the dough and squeeze into the boiling water (You may use a colander to push the dough through or a wooden cutting board and scrape dough little by little with a knife into the water).
- When the spaetzle float to the top of the pot, drain them.
- Place half of the spaetzle in a glass baking dish and add a layer of sauerkraut on top. Add another layer of spaetzle and sauerkraut.
- Cover the pan to keep the dish warm. In a separate pan melt the butter and add breadcrumbs just long enough to moisten them.
- Top the spaetzle with the breadcrumbs. Serve all layers together, or reheat the next day in a little bit of butter.
|Fat: 25.40 g||Cholesterol: 323.00 mg|
|Calories: 604.00||Protein: 18.90 g|