Photo Credit: Recipe Corner – Michael Melchiorre
Cook Time: 10 min
Prep Time: 15 min
( Serves 4 )
7 ounce fresh tuna
4 whole 6-inch baguettes (or 2 longer baguettes, cut in half)
1 whole garlic clove (cut in half)
12 whole basil leaves
1/2 cup Kalamata olives (sliced lengthwise)
1/2 cup red bell pepper (seeded and cut into thin, 1/2-inch slices)
1/3 cup red onion (very finely chopped)
1/4 cup parsley (finely chopped)
3/4 cup artichoke hearts (chopped)
1/3 cup blanched French green beans (sliced into thirds)
3 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
6 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (plus more for drizzling)
sea salt (to taste)
freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- Pan fry the tuna in a cast iron skillet, with a little olive oil, over medium-high heat, for about 4 minutes per side. Check to see if it’s cooked through; if not, break the tuna apart and pan fry until the pink is just gone.
- Slice the bread in half lengthwise. Remove some of the bread in a line along the middle of the bottom piece, creating a trough for the sandwich filling. Brush the halves with olive oil, rub with garlic and line with basil leaves.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the tuna, olives, red bell pepper, onion, parsley, artichoke hearts and green beans.
- In a small bowl, whisk the lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper together. Pour the vinaigrette into the tuna mixture and stir to combine.
- Spoon the salad into the trough of the baguette over the basil leaves. Wrap the sandwich well in plastic, smash gently and refrigerate overnight.