Whole Wheat Pita Curried Chicken Salad Recipe
Cook Time: 20 min
Prep Time: 10 min
( Serves 4 )
1 whole lemon (halved)
2 whole garlic cloves (crushed)
6 whole sprigs fresh cilantro (plus more for garnish, plus 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh cilantro leaves)
1 whole jalapeño (quartered)
2 whole boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 1 pound total)
6 tablespoon plain nonfat Greek yogurt
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
2 teaspoon curry powder
2 tablespoon scallions (thinly sliced)
1 tablespoon sliced almonds (lightly toasted)
1 whole small Granny Smith apple (cored and cut into 1/2-inch chunks)
3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
1 pinch Freshly ground pepper
4 whole wheat pitas (2 1/2 oz. each)
4 whole large Boston lettuce leaves
- Fill a medium (4-quart) stockpot halfway with water; add 1 lemon half, garlic, cilantro sprigs, and jalapeno. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add chicken. Simmer, partially covered, until chicken is cooked through, about 16 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer chicken to a plate; discard liquid.
- Tent chicken with foil, and let stand until cool enough to handle.
- Cut chicken into 1/2-inch pieces. Stir yogurt, mayonnaise, 2 teaspoons lemon juice from remaining lemon half, the curry powder, scallions, almonds, chopped cilantro, apple, and salt; season with pepper.
- Stir in chicken. Toast pitas. Top each with a lettuce leaf. Spoon 1 cup chicken salad over lettuce, and garnish with a cilantro sprig.