Herbed Roasted Chicken Recipe
Cook Time: 4 hours
Prep Time: 30 min
( Serves 4 )
1 whole chicken
1 whole onion (chopped)
3 whole celery ribs (cut into 2-inch chunks)
4 whole carrots (cut into 2-inch chunks)
1/2 whole oranges or 1 lemon (sliced)
1 tablespoon dried thyme
4 whole garlic cloves (minced)
1 tablespoon kosher salt
2 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- Cut up the onion, celery and carrots and put them in the bottom of your crock pot. You are not going to eat these with the chicken, they stay there for making stock. Putting them in the bottom of the crock pot keeps the chicken elevated out of the juice and lets the bird roast instead of stew.
- Combine the garlic cloves, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Add about 1/2 tsp of the fresh thyme leaves or all of the dried thyme.
- Remove all the stuff they pack on the inside of your chicken and place them (neck and innards, not the plastic bag) in the crock pot with the veggies. This makes the stock taste richer.
- Remove as much of the excess chicken fat as is practical.
- Take the garlic paste and spread it under the skin of the chicken. Try not to poke holes in the skin. Make sure you flavor the breasts and thighs.
- Stuff the orange or lemon slices and fresh thyme (if using) under the skin as well. If you have extra, place it in the middle of the bird.
- Roast in your crock pot for 3 to 4 hours on High.
- Remove chicken, serve and enjoy.
- Wine: Chardonnay
- Side: Olive Garden Breadsticks Copycat Recipe (click here)
|Calories: 835.30||Fat: 59.90 g|
|Saturatedfat: 16.10 g||Cholesterol: 243.80 mg|
|Sodium: 2039.00 g||Fiber: 3.10 g|
|Protein: 58.60 g||Carbohydrates: 12.70 g|