Cook Time: 1 hour
Prep Time: 20 min
( Serves 6 )
3 pound boneless chicken breasts and thighs
salt and freshly ground pepper (to taste)
2 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
6 whole scallions
2 tablespoon unsalted butter
6 whole shallots (diced)
6 whole large mushrooms (thinly sliced)
1 bunch cilantro (stems and leaves separated)
1 1/2 whole jalapeno peppers (chopped with seeds)
2 tablespoon ground cumin
2 cup chicken stock or canned broth
1 cup heavy cream
3 whole egg yolks
3 tablespoon palm sugar* or brown sugar
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- Preheat broiler or prepare grill. Season chicken lightly with salt and pepper, since sauce will be spicy. Mix oil and lime juice in a small bowl and brush chicken and scallions with it.
- Broil or grill thighs about 12 minutes, breast about 9 minutes, and scallions about 2 minutes per side. Always grill chicken skin-side down first.
- Meanwhile, make sauce by melting butter in a medium skillet over moderate heat. Cook shallots and mushrooms until soft and golden, about 10 minutes. Add cilantro stems, jalapeno peppers, and cumin, lower heat, and cook for 5 minutes. Add Chicken Stock. Turn heat to high and cook until liquid is reduced by half. Add cream and return to a boil. Remove from heat. Puree in a blender, strain, and return to heat.
- Whisk egg yolks, sugar, and vinegar together in a small bowl. Pour one cup pureed sauce into egg mixture to temper. Then combine egg mixture and puree and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until sauce is thick and smooth.
- Arrange grilled chicken over a bed of basmati rice and spoon sauce over all. Garnish with cilantro leaves and scallions, and serve immediately.
*Ingredient Note: Palm or coconut sugar is a very sweet, hard-packed brown sugar made from the coconut palm tree. Imported from Thailand, it is available in cans in Oriental markets. Brown sugar may be substituted.