Cook Time: 45 min
Prep Time: 35 min
( Serves 4 )
1 pound chicken thighs (boneless skinless) (cut into 1-inch pieces)
1/2 cup onion, green pepper and sweet red pepper (chopped)
1 teaspoon each dried basil, oregano and parsley flakes
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (crushed)
1 tablespoon canola oil
3 whole garlic cloves (minced)
1-1/2 cup penne pasta (uncooked)
1 can (14-1/2 oz.) tomatoes (diced, undrained)
3 tablespoon tomato paste
3/4 cup chicken broth
2 cup (8 oz.) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
- In a large saucepan, saute the chicken, onion, peppers and seasonings in oil until chicken is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, process tomatoes and tomato paste in a blender; add to chicken mixture. Stir in broth.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until slightly thickened. Drain pasta; toss with chicken mixture. Spoon half of the mixture into a greased 2-qt. baking dish.
- Sprinkle with half of the cheeses. Repeat layers. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 15-20 minutes longer or until heated through.
- Wine: Pinot Noir
- Dessert: Low-Fat Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Recipe (click here)