Photo Credit: Recipe Corner - Amanda Patton
Cook Time: 20 min
Prep Time: 15 min
( Serves 12 )
1 tablespoon cold butter (cut into small pieces)
1/4 cup pecans (finely chopped)
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoon all-purpose flour
2 cup all-purpose flour (sifted)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 whole large eggs (beaten)
1 cup low fat buttermilk
1/3 cup dark brown sugar
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup canola oil
1 cup canned sweet potato puree
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup dried cranberries (optional)
To make the crumb topping:
- In a small bowl, mix butter, pecans, brown sugar and flour together with fork or fingers, until it is a crumbly mixture.
- Wrap and place in fridge until ready to use.
To make the muffins:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Prepare a 12-muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon. Whisk until well-combined.
- Form a well in the center of the flour mixture. Add the remaining ingredients (except cranberries) to the well. Use a whisk to mix until just combined. Add in dried cranberries, if desired.
- Scoop batter into prepared muffin tin until each paper line is nearly full. Sprinkle crumb mixture evenly over each muffin.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow muffins to cool in pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight storage container until ready to serve.