Apple and Gorgonzola-Stuffed Chicken Recipe
Photo Credit: Recipe Corner – Amanda Patton
Cook Time: 30 min
Prep Time: 10 min
( Serves 4 )
3 tablespoon butter
2 whole cloves of garlic (chopped)
1 whole medium apple (cored, finely diced)
2 whole shallots (chopped)
10 whole fresh sage leaves (finely chopped)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 whole large chicken breasts (boneless, skinless)
1/4 cup gorgonzola cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat 1 tbsp butter in a large, oven-proof frying pan (cast iron works well) over medium heat.
- Add garlic, shallots and chopped apple. Cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until shallots begin to brown. Stir in sage and cook for 1 more minute.
- Remove from heat and transfer apple mixture to a plate. Spread out on the plate and place in the refrigerator to cool for 5 minutes.
- While mixture cools, place a chicken breast between 2 pieces of wax paper and pound with a mallet or rolling pin to flatten chicken to about 1/2-inch thick. Repeat with the second chicken breast.
- To assemble the chicken, spread half of the apple mixture and half of the gorgonzola on one half of a chicken breast. Sprinkle with half of the salt and pepper. Roll up from the filled end, securing chicken with toothpicks. Repeat with the second chicken breast and remaining apple mixture.
- Heat the remaining butter over medium heat in the same frying pan you cooked the apple filling in and place stuffed chicken breasts, seam-side down, in the hot butter.
- Cook chicken breasts for 7-8 minutes on each side (be gentle when you flip them), until golden-brown.
- Transfer pan to the pre-heated oven and cook for 10-12 minutes, or until chicken is fully-cooked.
- Remove from chicken from oven and let rest for 5 minutes before slicing in half and serving.